Monday, February 20, 2012

Puerto Viejo

Sorry I haven't updated in a while! Not a whole lot to report thus far. Still getting into the routine of things around San Jose. This past weekend I stayed in town reading in the sun, walking around in the sun (you should see my sunburn...just from being outside for one hour at 8 in the morning I got FRIED) and just feeling out the city avoiding the buses! I tell you, everyone would be completely surprised by my knowledge of public transportation within this huge city of San Jose and how to get from one side to another! Honestly, I have already spent more  time on buses than I ever imagined. But what can you do when its the fastest and easiest way to get around!

A really nice aspect of volunteering with Maximo Nivel in Costa Rica is the the opportunity to travel. They are so encouraging to see the country outside of the city. So that is exactly what I am doing right now. This morning I left for the Caribbean Coast, Puerto Viejo, to relax on the beach. The beach is called "Playa Negra" which means black beach because the sand is black. It is a very nice location, quiet and very relaxed with Jamaican cool attitude and the "Pura Vida" (literally meaning pure life) saying in mind. Today I walked around the town center and looked at all the shops. Tomorrow I plan on sitting my butt in the sand and reading for a majority of the day. They do have dolphin watching and snorkeling available here too so who knows what will happen!

When I return to San Jose I may look into switching my volunteer project half way through to the turtle conservation project.  Costa Rica has a HUGE population of turtles that depend on the coasts to safely lay their eggs during the seasons and a volunteer project I could do is to help protect the eggs from poachers, animals and other hazards. It is in a more remote part of the country but I would be living on the beach and it would be something I never could probably see otherwise....So we will see!

Costa Rica is really proving to be a beautiful country and there is always something to see or look at. I have a lot more of the country to see but I also have more time to do it in!

1 comment:

  1. I also forgot to tell everyone that I received my first ride in a cop car today....!
    At 5 this morning police officers saw me waiting for the bus and asked where I was headed and why I was alone and the offered me a ride to the bus station that I needed to be at to go to the beach! That was a surprise and interesting!!

    ReplyDelete