Monday, February 13, 2012

Weekend #1

Hola!
#1. I survived my first earthquake! Last night around 4 AM I was awoken by a rumbling and shaking. At first I thought it was someone climbing on my bed but then realized everything was shaking not just me. It ended up only lasting a short minute but still was something to experience!
#2. It is SO hot on the coast! Margaret *my house mate* and I traveled to Tortuguero Costa Rica which is on the Caribbean. Its famous for the huge amount of turtles that lay their eggs on the beaches each year. Nearly 1000 turtles come to shore each night! It was really nice to see and great to get out of the city and see nature! The only way to get to this destination is by boat so we took a two hour boat ride through the forest before landing at our lodge. I saw many animals...mostly birds and reptiles but we did see Monkeys and Caimans (baby alligators). In fact at the lodge where we stayed Monkeys came up to the restaurant when dinner and lunch was served!
#3. In the next week or two I plan on going to the pacific side of the coast and see the pretty places there!
#4. The kids at the project site are doing so well. We taught the days of the week, months of the year and some body parts last week and today as we reviewed them they really knew it in English! It is really rewarding to be able to teach them things! I taught them "head, shoulder, knees and toes" today and they LOVED the singing and actions...they kept saying faster, faster!


Here are some pictures from this past weekend...
 The Mountains on the way to Tortuguero
 Monkey's coming down from the trees at lunch time

 The Caribbean Sea
Can you spot the lizard! ISH!

No comments:

Post a Comment