Friday, March 2, 2012

Costa Rica- According to me.

This past week has been a week full of observation of Costa Rica from my stand point as an American girl visiting a foreign country for the first time by herself.

1. Upon my arrival back in the States I will be forever grateful to be able to throw away toilet paper in the actual toilet. Because of the small sewers and the water system here it isn't advised to throw paper in the actual toilet. I am finally getting used to this after 4 weeks but believe me this mundane task was a hard one to conquer.
2. Do not SLAM doors here. Although during orientation during my first week here we were warned not to slam doors of any kind in Costa Rica because locals find it extremely rude and inconsiderate, I hadn't actually seen a reaction until recently. At my host stay I have been helping each evening with dinner...setting the table, making the salad, preparing the fresh juice, etc. One evening this week I was chopping the tomatoes for the salad when Marina (Host Mom) started talking to me heatedly in Spanish. I only really understood snipits of her words but the 'UGHs' and 'EY' got the point across that she was upset. Gerison, Marina's son who speaks English quickly came to the rescue to explain that she wasn't mad at me but was just talking about one of the other house mates slammed the door today! How dare they! I explained that although slamming doors isn't exactly welcomed it isn't always on purpose...the wind could have gotten hold, some one was in a hurry, etc. Tico's take slamming doors as someone is insulting them. Good to know....
3. If traveling to Costa Rica buy your sunscreen at home prior to departure. I knew that the prices of sunscreen were higher here than at home but I didn't quite realize to what extent! Since I am at the beach this weekend I decided I may need more sun protection because my bottle was getting low. Prices in San Jose of Sunscreen is slightly higher than in the US but still worth the money if the trade off is a burn. I forgot to pick some up this week at the pharmacy so when I arrived in Manuel Antonio I quickly located a store and went straight for the sunscreen.....& it looks like I will either be sitting in the shade this weekend because a bottle of your average 30-45 spf sunscreen here is 15,000-25,000 colones. That means it is about $30-50. Seriously.
4. I have decided that the most rewarding part of this whole experience is living with the host family.I love them. Each member of the family has been so wonderful to me. I think Marina and Elilcer have taken me under their wings because I am most often the volunteer home most. I have spent countless hours hanging out in the kitchen with them and helping with dinner, learning the recipes (which I will make when I return home...), playing with their grandchildren, and just sitting in their room watching futbol at night with them. Marina has come to understand my daily schedule (Wake up 6:30, Eat, leave, come home, shower, help with dinner, nap, eat, hangout and then bed by 8:30), and what foods I don't eat (no bananas or tomatoes please...). She even can tell when I am lonely and missing my family which is when she promptly gives me a hug and a kiss. I came with the expectation that my volunteering with the children would far surpass anything  did here, and don't get me wrong, it is amazing and has been wonderful, but I have found I spend much more time in the company of my Costa Rican family than I ever imagined and I am so grateful for that.
5. The 2% milk here is amazing. Something about it is SOO good. Also, the ice cream is very delicious as well.





Just some thoughts I've had this week.
More to come tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment