Sunday, March 25, 2012

Winding Down....

The days are winding down to the end of my stay here in Costa Rica... :(
I  can reflect on my time spent here and say without a doubt I have learned a lot about the world and myself while abroad. I will share a few of these thoughts with you!

1. I officially feel like I have grown up and am a college graduate now. I have lived in a different country by myself, made choices/decisions in a different country by myself and have traveled in a different country by myself! All of these things are significant for me because they are each things I have never done before. I am so lucky to have such a supportive family who is constantly there for me but in that respect I have had the luxury to depend on them for so many things. Doing this on my own was an accomplishment that I am most proud of. I feel like I am ready to do so much more and have so many options for my future and have confidence that I can face whatever challenge.

2. Listen. Some people may think talking is the most important part of communication but listening, really listening is by far the superior. My Spanish has improved quite a bit since my arrival but the true secret to making communication work in a foreign country is listening to everything people have to say. I have been able to understand and learn so much just by keeping my ears open all the time. I was often found listening to a conversation and then saying uno momento por favor while I looked up a word I didn't understand. Although not the smoothest of ways to talk to someone it made my vocabulary expand! In other aspects when I would be alone walking on the streets it is extremely important to listen for any movement! It keeps you safe. I also can proudly recognize when a bus will be coming down the street or approaching the house because of the familiar sounds now! 

3. Greeting everyone with a kiss on the cheek is the best form of hello!! I love saying hello to people and automatically leaning in for a cheek press. You don't necessarily kiss on the cheek but you always press the right cheek to one another in a greeting or departure. I feel like this will be one thing I will want to continue in the US, it makes everyone feel loved and happy to see each other. I can't explain it but it really is a nice way to say hello and I have come to appreciate the affection warmly.

4. Kids can be the best teachers. Not only for my Spanish was being around children beneficial but also for understanding their way of life. The kids in La Caripo have such a completely opposite life than I have it can be hard to relate but when you talk with them they simply tell it as it is. They know nothing different then what they have which makes their words even more meaningful. They are thankful for their food and clothes and they are ecstatic about the possibility to bring a coloring page home for the night. Its the simple things that they enjoy which is a lesson that is long gone in the US. 

5. Don't judge a book by its cover. Literally. I had the opportunity to read quite a bit while here in Costa Rica...I completed 11 books while here. Many people know I love to read back home as well but I can be quite picky and sometimes judge books by covers. In Costa Rica, English books are very expensive, nearly double the US price. After I finished the four books I brought along I borrowed books for people here at Maximo before I went out and purchased more. They were books I normally would have seen and passed right by but ended up being great reads!! I now really do feel that you have to give each book a fair chance before passing judgement. 
In case you were wondering or looking for reading suggestions I will list the books I read:

Fire by Kristin Cashore (So good! Read the series! #1 is called Gracling.)
Before the Strom by Diane Chamberlain
The Year of the Fog by Michelle Richmond (Sadly, I was disappointed with this one..)
Look Again by Lisa Scottline
Little Bee by Chris Cleave  (EXCELLENT)
Oh! Mexico by Lucy Neville (This one made me want to write about my time here in Costa Rica!)
Deep Strom by Lincoln Child (Good! Interesting!)
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho (I am glad I read it, gives you a lot to think about)
Fallen by Lauren Kate
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo- Stieg Larsson (I finally was able to get into the story and I loved it! I couldn't put it down!)
The Girl who Plays with Fire- Stieg Larsson

Anyways, thats a little about my thoughts right now. I am getting anxious to go home but really sad to leave my home here. 


No comments:

Post a Comment