Wednesday, March 14, 2012

A typical "Tico" day

The days here in Costa Rica tend to go by pretty quickly for me. Here is the time table of a typical weekday for me!


6:50AM- Alarm goes off... promptly hit snooze
6:55AM- Snooze goes off...promptly groan about getting up, then remember breakfast is waiting downstairs! Roll out of bed and stumble downstairs.
7:03AM- Breakfast is served consisting of Gallo Pinto, eggs or tortillas con queso, fresh bread and homemade jam usually along side fresh melon or pineapple. Don't forget the coffee and fresh juice!
7:25AM- Say goodbye to Marina and receive Tupperware containing lunch. Head back upstairs to slowly get ready.
7:58AM-Start walking to the bus stop down the street. I usually already miss the 8 AM bus so end up waiting 10 minutes for the next bus.
8:10AM- Board bus and pay 210 colanes(.42cents) it usually is pretty full so I end up standing until people get off at the University along the way.
8:40AM- Get off bus at San Jose Central Ave and begin walking down the pedestrian only street.
9:00AM- Board bus to La Carpio and pay my fare....promptly sit down next to open window since I am usually warm from the long walk and hot sun.
9:40AM- Arrive in La Carpio and am greeted by excited kids!
10:00AM- The kids say prayer and receive their daily dose of vitamins. Kids are split up into age groups and then we head off to our corner of the church to start our English lesson. My class usually has four kids in it. Bryan, Jeffry, Susan, Tracy and sometimes Ariana. They love coloring so I often times try and incorporate drawing and coloring into my lessons. Today was a soup kitchen day so I asked them to draw their favorite foods and label them in English. 
11:00AM- English class is done for the day and now it is play time for the kiddies. Usually we color or jump rope....Slowly kids either come or go depending on their school schedule if they do go to school in the first place.
12:00PM- Heat up lunch and leave for bus stop.
1:00PM- Arrive back in San Jose, start walk back to Central Ave.
1:30PM- Board bus back to San Pedro to generally stop here at Maximo to use the computers, etc...
2:30PM- Walk to bus stop to board another bus to head back home!
3:00PM- Arrive home, usually I stop downstairs to return Tupperware and chit chat with Marina.
3:30PM- Shower and then debate a nap or not....usually a nap wins.
4:30PM- Go downstairs and help set the table or make dinner with Marina. (I have learned some of her secret recipes and am excited to repeat them when I return!)
5:30-7:00PM- Dinner is served, followed by family talking time and dishes. We all usually stay downstairs talking in Spanish for an hour and then we take turns with the dishes. This is one of my favorite times of the day.
7:30PM- Generally walk down to the corner market to by a sweet snack or ice cream.
8:00PM- Read my book....
8:30PM- .....getting tired reading my book.....get ready for bed.
9:00PM- In bed. Another day is over. Repeat tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment